Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COACHING AND THERAPY?
Coaching and therapy do not have the same intervention objective and are distinguished by their approach:
- Coaching focuses on “how to make progress”. In contrast, therapy focuses on “why” we have this habit or this behaviour in the face of stress or challenge.
- Coaching focuses on the present and future, while therapy works on the past.
- In coaching, the past is addressed to help you move towards your goal, and the “why” of the past is rarely explored.
HOW DOES A COACHING SESSION WORK?
- A coaching session is a one-to-one discussion to help you find solutions and achieve your goals.
- All sessions are covered by confidentiality. What happens in the sessions remains between you and your coach.
- Great care is taken to ensure that coaching occurs in a climate of trust, encouragement and non-judgment, with an agreement established between coach and coachee.
WHAT ARE THE FOUR COACHING STEPS?
1) A free, commitment-free 30-minute conversation
The discussion is by telephone or Zoom. This is to get to know each other, discuss your situation and clarify your objectives, answer your questions, and see if the approach is right for you.
2) A coaching contract or agreement
This agreement or quotation is followed by a short reflection questionnaire to prepare you for the first session.
3) Coaching sessions
Each session lasts between 1 hour and 1h30, depending on the objectives. At each session, we review your progress since your last session, what you want to work on during the session, and the next step.
4) The check-up (mid-term or final)
Coaching closes with a final or mid-term check-up. This is an opportunity to assess your progress and what you’ve learned and highlight the key take-aways that will enable you to move forward independently.
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
The length and number of sessions vary according to your purpose or goal.
- Sessions are spaced 1 to 3 weeks apart, depending on the situation.
- Some cases require just one session (for example, preparing for an interview), others more.
- On average, a coaching session lasts 3 to 6 months.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BE COACHED?
To start coaching, all you need is:
- A commitment to growth and development, to finding solutions to your challenges!
- Be prepared to change certain habits; to stop putting up with unhelpful patterns or preventing you from being who you are – with baby steps!
- Invest in yourself and challenge yourself with lots of encouragement!
And you’ll be supported by a private, personal online page so you can keep track of your progress J
ARE THERE ANY SUPPORT MATERIALS FOR COACHING SESSIONS?
I provide support materials adapted to the topic covered during the sessions. A private and personal online page offers access to videos, documents and links to create a learning base. It also enables you to track your progress.
HOW DO I KNOW WHICH ISSUE I WANT TO WORK ON?
This will be discussed in the first session. Sometimes, knowing what you want is hard; sometimes, one challenge hides another. During the first session, we’ll take stock of your challenges, to work out the contours of your objectives.
Once you’ve identified your needs, subsequent sessions can be broken down into mini-goals, depending on the most urgent ones, to help you move towards your overall goal.
ARE THERE ANY RISKS INVOLVED IN STARTING COACHING?
Anxiety before starting coaching is legitimate. A line of conduct/agreement is established between the coach and coachee to ensure that the coachee feels secure and confident.
Coaching is a series of reflections and questioning which can shake up your habits, change your beliefs and redefine your values.
Fundamental values such as integrity, encouragement, collaboration and respect will be respected. Open communication and active listening create a non-judgmental space to explore your options and develop.
At any time, you can choose to stop or take a break.
WHERE DO COACHING SESSIONS TAKE PLACE?
- In-person if you’re in Geneva or the surrounding area. I can travel for an additional fee.
- Online and via Zoom, including weekends if required.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The price varies according to:
- Whether you’re a company or an individual
- If you’re a student or job seeker
I’m in Switzerland, so the invoice is in Swiss Francs (CHF).
On average, a professional coaching session costs:
- For an individual: between CHF 100 and CHF 150
- For a company: between CHF 240 and CHF 300.
Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss your situation.
WHAT ARE THE TERMS OF PAYMENT?
– For companies: once the coaching contract has been validated, payment is expected within 30 days of receipt of the invoice.
– For individuals: After the first session, payment is made online or by bank transfer before or just after the session. This creates a more serene climate during the sessions, and all attention will be focused on your objective and the means you put in place to achieve it.
You can pay all at once or over several months, as you prefer. These arrangements can be discussed at the end of the preparatory session, and you can choose the method that suits you best.